The Witness of the Stars
E. W. Bullinger
Table of Contents
The First Book
(His First Coming)
"The sufferings of Christ"
The Prophecy of the Promised Seed of the Woman
VIRGO (The Virgin. A woman bearing a branch in her right hand and an ear of corn in her left). The Promised Seed of the woman.
1. COMA (The Desired. The woman and child). The Desired of all nations.
2. CENTAURUS (The Centaur with two natures, holding a spear piercing a victim). The despised sin offering.
3. BOOTES (a man walking bearing a branch called ARCTURUS, meaning the same). He cometh.
The Redeemer's Atoning Work
LIBRA (The Scales). The price deficient balanced by the price which covers.
1. CRUX, The Cross endured.
2. LUPUS, or VICTIMA, The Victim slain.
3. CORONA, The Crown bestowed.
The Redeemer's Conflict
SCORPIO (The Scorpion) seeking to wound, but itself trodden under foot.
1. SERPENS (The Serpent struggling with the man).
2. O-PHI-U-CHUS (The man grasping the serpent). The struggle with the enemy.
3. HERCULES (The mighty man. A man kneeling on one knee, humbled in the conflict, but holding aloft the tokens of victory, with his foot on the head of the Dragon). The mighty Vanquisher seeming to sink in the conflict.
The Redeemer's Triumph
SAGITTARIUS (The Archer). The two-natured Conqueror going forth "Conquering and to conquer."
1. LYRA (The Harp). Praise prepared for the Conqueror.
2. ARA (The Altar). Consuming fire prepared for His enemies.
3. DRACO (The Dragon). The Old Serpent— Devil, cast down from heaven.
The Second Book
"The result of the Redeemer's sufferings"
Their Blessings Procured
CAPRICORNUS (The fish-goat). The goat of Atonement slain for the Redeemed.
1. SAGITTA (The Arrow). The arrow of God sent forth.
2. AQUILA (The Eagle). The smitten One falling.
3. DELPHINUS (The Dolphin). The dead One rising again.
Their Blessings Ensured
AQUARIUS (The Water-Bearer). The living waters of blessing poured forth for the Redeemed.
1. PISCIS AUSTRALIS (The Southern Fish). The blessings bestowed.
2. PEGASUS (The Winged Horse). The blessings quickly coming.
3. CYGNUS (The Swan). The Blesser surely returning.
Their Blessings in Abeyance
PISCES (The Fishes). The Redeemed blessed though bound.
1. THE BAND—, but binding their great enemy Cetus, the sea monster.
2. ANDROMEDA (The Chained Woman). The Redeemed in their bondage and affliction.
3. CEPHEUS (The King). Their Redeemer coming to rule.
Their Blessings Consummated and Enjoyed
ARIES (The Ram or Lamb). The Lamb that was slain, prepared for the victory.
1. CASSIOPEIA (The Enthroned Woman). The captive delivered, and preparing for her husband, the Redeemer.
2. CETUS (The Sea Monster). The great enemy bound.
3. PERSEUS (The Breaker). Delivering His redeemed.
The Third Book
(His Second Coming)
"The glory that should follow"
Messiah, The Coming Judge of All the Earth
TAURUS (The Bull). Messiah coming to rule.
1. ORION, Light breaking forth in the person of the Redeemer.
2. ERIDANUS (The River of the Judge). Wrath breaking forth for His enemies.
3. AURIGA (The Shepherd). Safety for the Redeemed in the day of that wrath.
Messiah's Reign as Prince of Peace
GEMINI (The Twins). The twofold nature of the King.
1. LEPUS (The Hare), or THE ENEMY trodden under foot.
2. CANIS MAJOR (The Dog), or SIRIUS, the coming glorious Prince of Princes.
3. CANIS MINOR (The Second Dog), or PROCYON, the exalted Redeemer.
Messiah's Redeemed Possessions
CANCER (The Crab). The possession held fast.
1. URSA MINOR (The Lesser Bear). The lesser sheepfold.
2. URSA MAJOR (The Great Bear). The fold and the flock.
3. ARGO (The Ship). The redeemed pilgrims safe at home.
Messiah's Consummated Triumph
LEO (The Lion). The Lion of the Tribe of Judah aroused for the rending of the Enemy.
1. HYDRA (The Serpent). That old Serpent— Devil, destroyed.
2. CRATER (The Cup). The cup of Divine wrath poured out upon him.
3. CORVUS (The Crow, or Raven). Birds of prey devouring him.
For Signs and For Seasons
Such are the contents of this wondrous book that is written in the heavens. Thus has God been speaking and emphasizing and developing His first great prophetic promise of Genesis 3:15.
Though for more than 2,500 years His people had not this Revelation written in a book as we now have it in the Bible, they were not left in ignorance and darkness as to God's purposes and counsels; nor were they without hope as to ultimate deliverance from all evil and from the Evil One.
Adam, who first heard that wondrous promise, repeated it, and gave it to his posterity as a most precious heritage— ground of all their faith, the substance of all their hope, the object of all their desire. Seth and Enoch took it up. Enoch, we know, prophesied of the Lord's coming, saying, "Behold
the Lord cometh with ten thousands of His saints to execute judgment upon all" (Jude 14). How could these "holy prophets, since the world began," have recorded their prophecies better, or more effectually, or more truthfully and powerfully, than in these star-pictures and their interpretation? This becomes a certainty when we remember the words of the
Holy Spirit by Zacharias (Luke 1:67-70):
"Blessed be the Lord God of Israel;
For He hath visited and redeemed His people,
And hath raised up a horn of salvation for us
In the house of
His servant David;
As He spake by the mouth of HIS HOLY PROPHETS
WHICH HAVE BEEN SINCE THE WORLD BEGAN."
The same truth is revealed through Peter, in Acts 3:20, 21: "He shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you; whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all HIS HOLY PROPHETS SINCE THE WORLD
These words have new meaning for us, if we see the things which were spoken "since the world began," thus written in the heavens, which utter speech (i.e. prophecy), and show forth this knowledge day after day and night after night, the heritage of all the earth, and their words
reaching unto the ends of the world.
This Revelation, coinciding as it does in all its facts and truths with that afterwards recorded "in the Volume of the Book," must have had the same Divine origin, must have been made known by the inspiration of the same Holy Spirit.
We now proceed to compare the two, and we shall see how they agree at every point, proving that the source and origin of this Divine Revelation is one and the same.
Search this and our other online books
Buy this Book
Philologos Reference Guide
featuring our favorite
software and videos.
Philologos and BPR are associated with Amazon.com, and, as such, we receive a small referral fee for any items purchased via the above link. Please note that this does not increase the price of the book. We truly appreciate your support.
Special thanks to research-bpr of Philologos for typing this electronic copy. THIS BOOK HAS BEEN EDITED. Any corrections or questions may be directed to the address below:
The Witness of the Stars by E.W. Bullinger
Philologos Edition: Apr2701
"... freely ye have received, freely give." (Mat 10:8)