by E.W. Bullinger
Philologos Religious Online Books
HOW TO ENJOY THE BIBLE:
The "Word," and "The Words,"
How to Study them.
The "Word," and "The Words,"
How to Study them.
E. W. Bullinger, D.D.
The Word of God as a Whole
- The LIVING Word, making known the Father
- The WRITTEN Word, revealing the Son
- The LIVING and the WRITTEN Word
- CHRIST in the Word as a whole. The KING and the KINGDOM in Promise, in Proclamation, Rejection, Abeyance, and Manifestation
- CHRIST in the SEPARATE BOOKS of the Word
As to its LITERARY FORM
- The TWO TESTAMENTS
- The SEPARATE BOOKS
- The Division of the Hebrew Text
- The DIVISIONS of the GREEK TEXT
- The Divisions of the VERSIONS, AND THE ENGLISH BIBLE
As to its SUBJECT MATTER
- The JEW, the GENTILES, and the CHURCH of God
- The GENTILES
- The EPISTLES to the DISPERSION
As to its TIMES and DISPENSATIONS
- The Word "DISPENSATION"
- The SEVEN Dispensations
- Their SPECIAL CHARACTERISTICS
- The "TIMES OF THE GENTILES"
- The PARENTHESIS of the PRESENT DISPENSATION
As to its DISPENSATIONAL TRUTH and TEACHING
- One part of the PAST not necessarily to be read into another part of the PAST
- The PAST not to be read into the PRESENT
- The PRESENT not to be read into the PAST
- The FUTURE not to be read into the PRESENT
- One part of the FUTURE not necessarily to be read into another part of the FUTURE
- The Truth and Teaching of the CANONICAL ORDER to be distinguished from the CHRONOLOGICAL AND HISTORICAL ORDER
- 2 Peter 1:20, "Private interpretation"
- 1 Peter 3:20, "Spirits in prison"
- Hebrews 9:16, 17, "Testament" or "Covenant"
- Genesis 24:63, "Meditate"
- Revelation 1:10, "The Lord's day"
- The PRINCIPLES governing the Structure of Scripture
- EXAMPLES of each principle
- The ADVANTAGES and importance of the Structures
- ILLUSTRATIONS of these advantages
- Where ENGLISH WORDS have gone OUT OF USE altogether
- Where the usage of ENGLISH WORDS has become CHANGED
Where the USAGE OF GREEK WORDS had become changed
- By God:
- zwopoiew (zoopoieo), quicken
- paroikoV (paroikos), neighbour
- praktwr (praktor), officer
- phra (pera), scrip
- presbuteroV (presbuteros), elder
- anaginwskw (anaginosko), persuade
- apostomatizw (apostomatizo), question
- grafw (grapho), wrote
- apecw (apecho), reward
- bebaiwsiV (bebaiosis), confirmation
- to dokimion (to dokimion), trial
- dikaioV (dikaios), righteous
- ilasthrion (hilasterion), propitiation
- euerghthV (euergetes), well-doer
- plhqoV (plethos), multitude
- mikroV (mikros), little
- paradeisoV (paradeisos), paradise
- kuriakoV (kuriakos), Lord's
- ceirografon (cheirographon), handwriting
- adoloV (adolos), sincere
- sfragizw (sphragizo), seal
- caragma (charagma), mark
- anapempw (anapempo), send
- biazomai (biazomai), suffer violence, press
- katakrima (katakrima), condemnation
- upostasiV (hupostasis), substance
- Where DIFFERENT but CONCURRENT USAGES OF GREEK WORDS should be observed in the English
- Where a UNIFORM USAGE OF GREEK WORDS should not be departed from in the English
- The IMPORTANCE of the CONTEXT shown
Illustrations of ERROR arising from a DISREGARD of the Context
- Isaiah 52:8, "They shall see eye to eye"
- Habakkuk 2:2, "That he may run that readeth"
- Psalm 2:8, "Ask of Me"
- Matthew 22:32, "The God of the living"
- Matthew 23:3, "That observe and do"
- John 6:37, "Him that cometh"
- Acts 16:31, "Believe...and thou shalt be saved"
- Romans 8:28, "All things work together for good"
- 1 Corinthians 3:17, "Him shall God destroy"
- 2 Corinthians 5:8, "Absent from the body"
- Philippians 1:21, "To die is gain"
- Philippians 2:12, "Work out your own salvation"
Illustrations of TRUTH AND TEACHING resulting from a DUE REGARD to the Context
- The NEARER CONTEXT
The REMOTER CONTEXT
- Genesis 19 and 14, The cities and the city
- Genesis 24:24, and 18:11, 12, Rebekah the daughter of Bethuel
- Genesis 37:25, 28, 36; and Judges 6-8, The Ishmaelites and Midianites
- Exodus 6:16-20; and Numbers 26:59, Moses' parents
- Numbers 16:1; and Numbers 3:29, 2:10, The sons of Kohath
- Numbers 16:27; and Numbers 26:11, The sons of Korah
- Joshua 3:15, 4:19; and Exodus 11:31; Joshua 2:6, Jordan overflowing in time of harvest
- 1 Samuel 13:19; and Judges 3:16, 31, 5:8, 14:5, 6, No smith found in Israel
- 1 Samuel 17:4; and Joshua 11:21, 22, Goliath of Gath
- 1 Kings 17:9, 12 and Joshua 19:28
- 2 Chronicles 17-24; and Joshua 21:13, "Jehoshaphat strengthened himself against Israel"
- 2 Chronicles 22:11, 12, and 24:7, Joash, Jehosheba, and nurse
- 2 Chronicles 21:10; and Joshua 21:13, The revolt of Libnah
- 2 Kings 18:13-16; and Isaiah 39:2; 2 Chronicles 32:22, 23, The depletion of Hezekiah's treasury
- Isaiah 62:2-5; and 2 Kings 21:1, The land shall be called Hephzibah
- Jeremiah 13:18; and 2 Kings 24:12, 15, "Say unto the Queen"
- Mark 14:51, 52; and John 12:10, The young man who fled from Gethsemane
- John 21:15; and Matthew 26:31, 33, "Lovest thou Me more than these"
- Acts 2:16; and Joel 2:28-32, "This is that"
- 1 Corinthians 11:10; and Genesis 6:1, 3, Power on her head
- Galatians 3:15-17; and Genesis 15; Acts 7:6, The 400 and 430 years
- Galatians 3:20; and Genesis 15:12, "God is one"
- Hebrews 12:17; and Genesis 27:34-38, "No place of repentance"
- The first utterance of the Old Serpent (Gen 3:1)
- The first ministerial utterance of the Lord (Matt 4:4)
- The first utterance of the Lord as Son of Man (Luke 2:49)
- The first Questions in the Old and New Testaments (Gen 3:9; Matt 2:2)
- The first interpretation of prophecy in the New Testament (Isa 7:14; Matt 1:22,23)
- "All Scripture given by inspiration" (2 Tim 3:16)
- "Come unto Me" (Matt 11:28)
- "Anathema, Maranatha" (1 Cor 16:22)
- The rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31)
- "Destroy not thy weak brother with thy meat" (Rom 14:15; and 1 Cor 8:11)
In THE REMOVAL OF ERRORS
- Ammonite or Moabite (Deut 23:3; and Matt 1:5)
- Zedekiah and Babylon (Jer 32:4, 34:3; Eze 12:13; and 2 Kings 25:6,7)
- Omer and Homer (Exo 16:36; and Eze 45:11)
- The going of Balaam (Num 22:22)
- God's Command concerning Sacrifices (Jer 7:22,23; and Lev 1:3)
- Hearing and not hearing the Voice (Acts 9:7 and 22:9)
- Standing, and Falling to the earth (Acts 9:7 and 26:14)
- Spoken and written (Matt 2:23)
- "Jeremiah the prophet" (Matt 27:9)
- The sending of the Centurion (Luke 7:3,6; Matt 8:5)
- The inscriptions on the Cross
- The offering of drink on the Cross
- The "others" crucified with Christ
- The burying of Jacob and his sons (Acts 7:15-17)
In the REVELATION OF TRUTH
- Words and Expressions:
- The OPPOSITE of what is said
MARKS OF TIME
- "The second day" (Josh 10:31,32)
- "Then came Amalek" (Exo 17:8)
- "Then will I sprinkle" (Eze 36:25)
- "Then shall the offering" (Mal 3:4)
- "Then they that feared the LORD" (Mal 3:16)
- "Then we which are alive" (1 Thess 4:17)
- "Then shall the kingdom of heaven" (Matt 25:1)
- "Immediately" (Matt 24:29)
- "Afterward" (Joel 2:28)
- "At that time" (Matt 11:25)
MARKS OF REASONING
- "Therefore, I beseech you" (Eph 4:1)
- "Therefore I charge you" (2 Tim 4:1)
- NAMES OF PERSONS AND PLACES
- SYNONYMOUS GREEK words
- SYNONYMOUS HEBREW words
- The GENITIVE CASE
- The account of Creation (Gen 1)
- The Rejection of Messiah (Isa 53)
- The mourning of Israel (Rev 1:7)
- The Potter's house (Jer 18)
- The Ten Virgins (Matt 25)
- The Hebrew MSS of the Old Testament
- The Greek MSS of the New Testament
- The Ancient Versions
- The Printed Greek Text of the NT
Special thanks to Moza, a research member of Philologos and the Bible Prophecy Research mailing list for providing this electronic copy. THIS BOOK HAS BEEN EDITED. Any corrections or questions may be directed to the address below:
Philologos Edition: May0101
How To Enjoy The Bible by E.W. Bullinger
"... freely ye have received, freely give." (Mat 10:8)